Sunday, 24 August 2014

An update on my holiday complaint.

I had a reply from ABTA, eventually, advising me that they cannot intervene until I have reached stalemate with the holiday company, so that was a waste of a couple of weeks waiting.  I will be going back to them shortly though as I do feel stalemate has now been reached.

I rejected the £50 goodwill offer made by the travel company as it goes nowhere near compensating me for the difference in price of the hotels, even ignoring all the additional issues.

I had asked the travel company to tell me when they actually sent my booking to the hotel.  At the same time I contacted the hotel to ask the same question.

The travel company have refused to tell me, however the hotel have replied that they received the booking on the 13th May and refused it straight away as they were fully booked.  I have now contacted the travel company to ask why it took a full month for them to notify me of the hotel move.  

Given a month, I could have cancelled and made other arrangements. - including booking the Santa Monica myself for half the price that I had paid for the Maritim.  I wouldn't be having this fight to get my money back then.

The tmeline currently stands as

  • 20/04/14 - Accommodation at the Maritim booked and deposit paid.
  • 05/05/14 - Outstanding balance of accommodation paid
  • 13/05/14 - Booking sent to hotel and immediately rejected.
  • 13/06/14 - Notified of hotel move
  • 14/06/14 - Date of travel
  • 21/06/14 - Date of return and complaint put into writing.

Once I get a response to this query I will be able to go back to ABTA.